Using the Pacific Northwest as the dynamic environment that carries the film from beginning to end, Bryan Smith takes us up close with the core elements of sea kayaking. Blending wildlife, people, and places, Pacific Horizons motivates all sea kayakers to get out and go kayaking. The film features segments on Dubside, Quadra Island Tidal Races, Skookumchuck Narrows, Keirron Tastagh and Jeff Norville's 14 day Circumnavigation of Vancouver Island, San Juan Islands, The Oregon Coast, Columbia River Gorge, Remote West Coast Vancouver Island Locations, Queen Charlotte Islands, and much more.

The Official Trailer for Pacific Horizons!

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

We are going to Banff!

I just received the notice that Pacific Horizons was chosen as a finalist for the 2007 BANFF MOUNTAIN FILM FESTIVAL! Lise-Anne and I will be travelling to Alberta to present the film on the big screen Saturday November 3 and then it will play again in a smaller theater on Nov 4th. Banff is considered one of the most prestigious adventure film festivals in the world and has been a dream of mine for the past couple years. Needless to say we are excited to be a part of this years event and also have a shot at making the 2007 BANFF WORLD TOUR! This will kick off a series of premieres on the west coast and the release of the DVD. We will be posting information on the November release of the DVD and when and where it will be available here soon, as well as a complete list of West coast premiere dates.

2 comments:

Rory A. said...

Hi,
I was in attendance for the screening in the Eric Harvie theatre last Sunday. I wanted to talk to you both about paddling but you had already escaped to the green room before I got over to your side.
I wanted to say I was utterly blown away and wanted to paddle very badly (the urge, not style) afterwards. I had never seen sea kayaks do that before, and wanted to know if any of you had used or considered using "squirt boats"; you already had the "mystery moves" perfected! I am a young paddler, my father and mother are both paddlers as well, he more into kayaks and her with canoes. I have been kayaking for a couple years now, but have not attempted a wet exit, and cannot roll. That doesn't seem to be a good thing, and I can't brace that well either so it will come. There is something just a bit odd with being upside down in water, moving or otherwise. This film has helped my mind frame a little bit as to getting wet, especially Dubside. I'm going to set up some ropes in my backyard to flip with, and I will probably get hurt a little bit...
My dad and mum are into white water paddling, and out on the west coast we have a kayak. My mums old white water boat, made of fibre glass (itchy arms after carrying). The place we have is on Lasqueti Island, no tidal rapids or rivers, but lovely views and people. perhaps we could correspond more via e-mails for a possible trip this summer... but alas, only dreams. or perhaps not.
I will check back for a reply from my post in the next couple weeks or so, if not I shall try again

A supportive viewer (who will probably buy the DVD at Mountain Equipment Co-op),

Rory A.

Bryan Smith said...

Rory,

I'm glad you liked the show and felt inspired to get out and go paddling! A lot of people that are pushing what can be done in sea kayaks have spent time in other boats. Squirt boats, river boats, surf boats, ect... A couple of the guys in the bc tidal race tour segment that you saw at Banff have had lots of time on the river. However a couple of them have really only paddled sea kayaks. Lots of the skills transer across the disciplines. Probably one of your best bets for learning to roll and really accelerating your abilities is to work with a really good instructor. MEC will be stocking the DVD.

Bryan